Vibrant and Colourful Bismuth Crystal
Size: 36mm x 38mm x 36mm Approximately
Weight: 52 gram
- How much will it cost to ship this item, click here to find out.
What is Bismuth?
Bismuth is a chemical element with the symbol Bi and atomic number 83. It is a brittle, crystalline metal that exhibits a unique array of physical properties. Bismuth is considered a post-transition metal (also known as the poor metals, is a group of metals on the periodic table) and is one of the heaviest stable elements found in nature.
How does become colourful?
One of the remarkable characteristics of bismuth is its vibrant iridescent colours. When bismuth crystals form, they develop a thin oxide layer on their surface, causing the light to diffract and create an array of colourful patterns. This gives bismuth crystals their distinctive and captivating appearance.
Cool facts about Bismuth
- Bismuth is a post-transition metal element with the atomic number 83 and symbol Bi.
- Bismuth is the most naturally diamagnetic element, meaning it is repelled by both poles of a magnet.
- Bismuth has a low thermal conductivity, which makes it an excellent thermal insulator.
- Bismuth is commonly used in cosmetics, such as lipstick and eyeshadow, due to its iridescent properties.
- Bismuth is also used in fire sprinklers because it can melt and flow at relatively low temperatures.
- Bismuth is used in some stomach medicines to treat indigestion and heartburn.
- Bismuth has a unique property where it expands as it cools, making it useful in some types of manufacturing.
- Bismuth has a low toxicity, making it a safer alternative to lead in some applications.
- Bismuth is often combined with other metals to create alloys with unique properties, such as low melting points.
- Bismuth is a relatively rare element, making up only about 0.00002% of the earth's crust.
The photos are taken in light studio but best efforts are made to reflect the true colour of the stones but there may be some variation in natural light.
The piece in the image is the exact piece you will receive.