Get the vacuum into those hard to reach places, dust the nooks and crannies, briefly open windows to allow cross-current airflow, and then smudge your space.
Burn some dried sage, cedar, or palo santo, and wave the smoke into the corners of each room to negate any heavy energy lingering at home.
White sage is used for purification and clearing negative energy.
Sage smudging is a ritual where the leaves of the sage plant are burned. The smoke is then directed into a space that is in need of clearing negative energy, the spirit of the sage plant releases its energy of protection. Be sure to express your gratitude for its assistance.
Benefits of Sage:
- Sage is filled with antioxidants.
- Sage purifies the air. It grabs onto and soaks up dust and mould, neutralising them, and also odours.
- It is antibacterial; it can help to stop the spreading of germs
- Repels insects.
- Dispels negativity and gets rid of any stuck energy.
- Soothes the mind, body and soul and promotes happiness & boosts energy levels.
- Boosts cognition and aids brain memory.
- Sage has also been said to improve sleep. Clearing the air, encouraging a deeper slumber
- A vessel for burning sage
- A lighter, candle or match stick
- A fanning tool (no necessary but helpful when smudging a large area)
- Traditionally people use a paua shell to hold the sage and a feather to fan and spread the smoke around the space.
- Open all the windows, this allows any energies to escape through the windows and allows airflow when the sage is smoking.
- Determine your intention before you start and decide on a mantra, repeat this whilst you're smudging your home.
- Hold the sage at a 45 degree angle and light, allow it to burn for 20 seconds. Gently blow out the flame so you see the orange embers on one end. The smoke should now billow up.
- Slowly walk around your space and allow the smoke to waft, guide the smoke and bad energies towards an open window or door.
- Walking around the room, ensuring you sage all four corners and the center of your room.
- Never let the sage burn unattended.
- Once you've finished, extinguish the sage by pressing it down firmly into your vessel. (i.e paua shell)
- You can sage when ever you feel the need too, some people sage after a new moon, full moon, stressful day, negative visitors, etc. You could perhaps make it a monthly ritual, it's completely up to you.
- A sage stick will last 3-5 burns. It will last longer if you pull it apart and use twig by twig. It's up to you how you'd like to use it.